PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion (Rejected): TreeAssist

naithantu
30-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by arykai, moved it here because he made several requests in one topic. Posting only one request per topic really is required for me to keep track of what has been done and what hasn't, several suggestions in one topic makes everything more messy and greatly increases the chance of requests being lost.

The TreeAssist is basic. And since I am a tree I love it very much. This is a magnificent plugin that will automatically fell a tree if you cut down a log with an axe. This would remove any and all half cut trees on any world, assuming the person doesn't just punch it. Sure there are other plugins that do this, but on top of the felling it will auto plant one sapling at the location of the tree trunk. Replanting or regenerating the resource world forests would be done less frequently. Permitting moderators and Admins more time to focus on other tasks. The only issue that may arise is with huge jungle trees. Not all of their branches are destroyed when they are cut. Also, since the endurance of the axe is effected as if it cut each wooden block, if a partially used axe was used on a huge jungle tree it would only cut away as much as the remaining endurance could handle.

http://www.curse.com/server-mods/minecraft/tree-assist

naithantu
30-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Never liked plugins like this, they make gathering wood way too easy. Instead of seeing occasional flying trees you won't see trees at all with a plugin like this, you can remove entire forests by just running from tree to tree and breaking the bottom block.

SparkleUnidog
30-03-2013, 12:48 PM
But it replants the saplings to make more trees... but I guess that isn't what bothers you Naith, more just the fact that players would collect way to much wood to quickly and easily?

Arykai
30-03-2013, 01:12 PM
It's a valid point, though since we have the resource worlds I don't think it's a heavy issue.

Yes a lot of trees can be cut down quickly, though they are replanted immediately. Even if just left there many will grow into new trees within minutes.
The only way they wouldn't grow is if the person then broke the sapling. Which there's no point of doing at all.

As for with it taking less time, this is undeniable.
Though having the gathering still take the same amount of endurance from an item kind of balances it. You know?
Cut down one tree that is, let's say, 7 logs high would then remove 7 logs of endurance from the ax you were using.
Cutting down a whole forest would still require you to have made a lot of axes.

I still think it would be a great addition. I would expect there to be a kind of strong first wave of people going farming for trees initially.
Then people would get over the new feature and it would just become a casual thing. I doubt there'd be much "DESTROY THE ENTIRE FOREST RAAAAAGE".
And it's the automating planting that makes this one stand out to solve such problems.
You cut one down, one grows back. It doesn't over plant or not plant at all.

Still, the biggest problem I can think of is with the Big Jungle Trees. Having random leaves and wooden blocks floating would impede the growth/generation of
other big jungle trees unless the area was cleared properly.

Aside from that I don't think there'd be much of an issue with this speeding up gathering.

MurasakiRyu
30-03-2013, 06:43 PM
In the past when we asked Jack about something like this he has said no, because it takes away from the survival aspect of the game. Though I like that this one plants a sapling.

naithantu
30-03-2013, 07:02 PM
The automatic placement of new saplings is quite nice, but I just think it makes gathering wood waaaay too easy. Minecraft gather times for all the resources you need are fairly well balanced, with this gathering wood would suddenly be significantly easier to do. This also means we need to change the shop (not only the sell/buy prices of wood, but also all the items that have wood in their recipe).
Still don't really like it :p

Exactly why would we want a plugin like this though? This would get rid of the flying tree problem, but this isn't a huge problem and this really isn't the way to fix such a small thing. The other reason for such a plugin would obviously be that it allows you to gather wood faster, but I don't think that's a good thing for a survival server like us... ;3

TheKrafter1923
31-03-2013, 11:07 AM
I like it but don't at the same time, sure it's fun to dink around with but then it's easy to ruin forests and such which makes the land different.

Someb0dy
31-03-2013, 12:34 PM
that seems nice it would be especially handy with the white and darker trees which ppl don't tend to replant in the resource world very often or not at all, although wouldn't it clash with your other suggestion mcmmo because as I remember it has an ability after you get some woodcutting lvls and you can do pretty much the same as tree assist does with bringing down the tree(not replanting)

naithantu
14-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Due to the fact that I don't like it and other players have mixed opinions, this suggestion has been rejected.