PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion (Completed): Starter kit for the new members!

nirosu
08-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Before you go on and jump saying "This is a survival server, Survive Harder!", listen to the idea, because it might be found usefull

The idea is a starting kit that is granted when a person first logs, or in some way accsessable for builder, it won't be able to be granted more than once though, for reasons I will explain later.

The starter kit will contain not tools, but rather books:

The first book will be a book containing the rules of the server, the book itself however, won't come to replace a guide or a mod, since it would be granted once, and some things might not be fully clear, this book will contain the main rules of the server, and also how to use /modreq correctly.

The second book will be a book that explains how to become a member, again, since books can't beat a living person eplaining, and the book won't be recieved twice, it wouldn't replace a guide, but maybe this book could be granted by a mod using a special command. The book will explain what a person needs to become a member(email, 5 minutes of his time, free), and the steps from getting to the forums, registering, untill applying, since it could take much time for mods and guides to explain, and sometimes it can make a lot of pressure and lack of staff on the field, builders with patience could use the book instead.

that is the main part of the starter kit, however, if it wouldn't be enough for you to be counted as a starter kit, it might be wise to add:

"The Diffrent worlds and you"- a book that explains about the diffrent worlds(pvp, rw, the sections of spawn, the wild, end and nether), within it'll explain where to build(wild or plots, not in the rw, that would be also included in the rules as a warning) and about sethomes.

A wooden sword, pick, shovel and 2 bread - I'm not saying this won't hurt the survival aspect, and this part is not that crucial to the kit, so those of you who can't tell the diffrence of the main part and additional suggestions that are not crucial, then think before attacking and trying to fail all the suggestion.

A book about the basic commands- will contain a brieff explenation about lwc system, /home /spawn /leave and /money commands and etc.

now, apart from ^THAT^ suggestion, such a thing could be added for VIPs, like a rule book, in what cases to tp, what is unallowed, /te abuse and the benefits of VIP in short, and apart from such book, a free compass, which is clearly one of the VIP's most usefull tool.

Think about it and remmember, it's not like those new people are too lazy to go on the forum to check rules and, it's because they sometimes don't know how to use it or are new for such communities.

sincerely,
Nirosu

veryunderstated
08-04-2013, 06:29 PM
I do like the idea of a VIP rule book being granted when you get VIP or the first time you login after getting VIP. I'm completely neutral towards the rest of the suggestion.

MurasakiRyu
08-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Oooo the vip book sounds like a good idea.

GreenTitanLP
08-04-2013, 11:54 PM
I think the books are a good idea, I like the idea :D

Ryuuga
09-04-2013, 08:03 AM
nice idea we already have most of the books. 1 problem though... do you see anyone opening those books and then read them after they find out they're like 30 pages or more? I think a lot of people don't even bother opening them when we give it to them much less read the whole thing considering how much time it would take :S. I really like the idea but I'm very doubtfull whether it would work for new people. And not to forget the books would need to get updated every time something changed too to stay up to date (although that's more of a problem for whomever is writing the books).

nirosu
09-04-2013, 11:25 AM
nice idea we already have most of the books. 1 problem though... do you see anyone opening those books and then read them after they find out they're like 30 pages or more? I think a lot of people don't even bother opening them when we give it to them much less read the whole thing considering how much time it would take :S. I really like the idea but I'm very doubtfull whether it would work for new people. And not to forget the books would need to get updated every time something changed too to stay up to date (although that's more of a problem for whomever is writing the books).

actually that's not the problem, as I said, in the books MAIN rules and such stuff will be written, it's not like we're going to write all the rules like "do not go on vent and shout like an idiot", more like "no grieffing at any world but the reasource world",
the books won't be needing the update that often, since rules don't change that fast.

Also, as I said, the books won't be usefull for everyone(xcept the vip books, since vips are usualy more expirienced), but they might be usefull to the more expirienced new members that were in former servers and might be willing to take a bit of time to check out the wierd book they recieved when they logged on to the wonderfull world of slap, the books will not replace the role of guides, but rather reduce the amount of work needed in basic questions, I myself don't think most will take the time to read, but i'm sure some might check the books out, after all, a book that is named "How to become a member"(name is atm too long, maybe call it "membership and you") might be something worth reading.

Just like a fence in a plot can't stop all mobs from entering, so does a book can't force everyone into reading.

GreenTitanLP
09-04-2013, 02:24 PM
I support the idea of the books, but possibly condense it into one book. They can go and read the book quickly, make everything paraphrased inside of it. Teach them about the amount of plots they can have and possibly the banned items and how to become a member. Show the simple commands and that should be all that is needed.

TheKrafter1923
09-04-2013, 03:09 PM
I like the idea, it doesn't seem to take away from the survival aspect and could really help everyone on the server! :)

Ryuuga
09-04-2013, 03:42 PM
I like the idea, it doesn't seem to take away from the survival aspect and could really help everyone on the server! :)
okay so.. let's see I already wrote books for this the only problem would be the distribution of them. If other staff agrees with this naith would have to somehow program in that first time joiners receive a specific book and to be honest I have no clue about how hard that is to make it happen. :S

nirosu
09-04-2013, 03:59 PM
okay so.. let's see I already wrote books for this the only problem would be the distribution of them. If other staff agrees with this naith would have to somehow program in that first time joiners receive a specific book and to be honest I have no clue about how hard that is to make it happen. :S

actually ryuuga, starter kit is built in with vanila, the thing is to program the book inside, nothing that our naithy can't possibly do <3

so I wouldn't think that's a problem that much XD

TheKrafter1923
10-04-2013, 12:36 AM
d I have seen servers that can do that so there must be a plugin and I think you can customize the items they get so I think it could be done if Naith would do it :D

Cats_say_moo
10-04-2013, 08:20 AM
But then again shouldnt this insted be a area added to the tutorial area at spawn?

Ryuuga
10-04-2013, 10:06 AM
But then again shouldnt this insted be a area added to the tutorial area at spawn?
what do you mean? have a tutorial area with all the commands for each member rank? or have an area where you can pick up said book? Huge amounts of sign have a demotivational effect from my experience and we already have a whole lot of signs up on the 2nd floor of the tutorial at spawn.

GreenTitanLP
10-04-2013, 10:15 AM
I just think a simple book with rules and help should be added to the inventory of new players.

naithantu
10-04-2013, 12:51 PM
The book for VIPs is a pretty nice idea, making on for new members is pretty useless though. They won't read it anyway :p

MaxRoktanskyCrmb
10-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Could you make the book for noobs available to everyone as like the /minecart or /boat command?? Then when a new person asks a dumb (there are no dumb questions), the staff can have them type /helpbook and get the book with all the rules and links. They have a better chance of reading it if they need the info. I agree with naithantu in that its doubtful the new people will read it until they actually need the info. There is already plenty of rules and tutorials that nobody reads now.

MurasakiRyu
10-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Having a /helpbook could be really nice for when there's no staff on.

nirosu
11-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Could you make the book for noobs available to everyone as like the /minecart or /boat command?? Then when a new person asks a dumb (there are no dumb questions), the staff can have them type /helpbook and get the book with all the rules and links. They have a better chance of reading it if they need the info. I agree with naithantu in that its doubtful the new people will read it until they actually need the info. There is already plenty of rules and tutorials that nobody reads now.

the thing is, such a command shouldn't be allowed, because some villagers trade finished books, which can be abused, however, if sucha command would work like /minecart or /boat, then the book will be opened but not transfered to the inventory, it may be a challenge even for naith :/ but having the staff give away books(including Guides) couldn't do much harm.

Ryuuga
11-04-2013, 12:57 PM
the thing is, such a command shouldn't be allowed, because some villagers trade finished books, which can be abused, however, if sucha command would work like /minecart or /boat, then the book will be opened but not transfered to the inventory, it may be a challenge even for naith :/ but having the staff give away books(including Guides) couldn't do much harm.
that still doesn't prevent them from abusing it to trade it in for other stuff with villagers does it?:S

naithantu
11-04-2013, 02:35 PM
If I add this it will be made in such a way that you can't abuse it

Blake
11-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Okay Naith we will not abuse it (maybe :P)

TheKrafter1923
11-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Naith if you could make a command like /books and it gave you a set of books but you could only use it once a week or if it could sense if you have the books already in your inventory.

Ryuuga
12-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Naith if you could make a command like /books and it gave you a set of books but you could only use it once a week or if it could sense if you have the books already in your inventory.
that's a great idea actually, although I think even once a day would suffice to prevent abuse. I mean even if there are villagers out there that would trade for the book you still have to find them and you would only be able to trade once a day at best. And personally I'm not impressed by the deals villagers usually give you. I think going to the RW and gathering stuff is more rewarding than searching the world for a villager to trade with me :S

naithantu
12-04-2013, 02:58 PM
that's a great idea actually, although I think even once a day would suffice to prevent abuse. I mean even if there are villagers out there that would trade for the book you still have to find them and you would only be able to trade once a day at best. And personally I'm not impressed by the deals villagers usually give you. I think going to the RW and gathering stuff is more rewarding than searching the world for a villager to trade with me :S

If I add this it will be made in such a way that you can't abuse it

Stop posting useless things about "once a week so they can't abuse", if I add this you CAN NOT abuse it >_>

Jackster21
12-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Great idea naith.

This should defiantly get implemented.

Jack Approves! ^.^

Blake
20-04-2013, 02:38 AM
If Jack agrees then i agree of this system of working!

Your lapis loving VIP friend blakethesnake04