PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion (Rejected): [book] signs

nirosu
09-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Heya I have an Idea, having a new sign feature [book] that will open a book placed inside a storage of the sign(which can store only one readable book).

might be hard to program, but it'll be cool, could be useful for instructions to stuff, as instructions/rules can take so much space, and it could also be AWESOME for public library :D

SparkleUnidog
09-09-2013, 11:50 AM
I remember the bookcases being able to store books... then the feature was gone and many stored books was lost. Why not just have that back?

Cats_say_moo
09-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Heya I have an Idea, having a new sign feature [book] that will open a book placed inside a storage of the sign(which can store only one readable book).

might be hard to program, but it'll be cool, could be useful for instructions to stuff, as instructions/rules can take so much space, and it could also be AWESOME for public library :D

I do have to give you credit, It isnt a Essay :D

nirosu
09-09-2013, 12:18 PM
storage of the book wasn't the idea for this suggestion, rather getting the ability to store alot of words inside a sign, for example, not all of the rules are in tutorial island, like tearms of use, we could just put a [book] sign with the TOS books written by the lovely ryuuga(thank you for your donation for the book and quill library), and also could be used to give a written explaination or something to stuff built by somepeople(this is the most general sentence eva)

I prefer writing essays in books then rather spending 30 signs. >....<

Yannis_Ofzo
09-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Would love it if it gets implemented. could be useful for rules etc at player made public places.

SparkleUnidog
09-09-2013, 03:51 PM
I guess that would be useful, no?

Still wonder about the bookcases, though. I miss that feature, lol

nirosu
09-09-2013, 04:17 PM
I guess that would be useful, no?

Still wonder about the bookcases, though. I miss that feature, lol

I can sympathize with you XD

Jackster21
09-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Nah, I don't see the point in this one.

jimred9
09-09-2013, 09:09 PM
But it'll be cool, could be useful for instructions to stuff, as instructions/rules can take so much space, and it could also be AWESOME for public library :D

Jack there are lots of cool possible ideas... :)

nirosu
10-09-2013, 04:31 AM
Well, if you'd want to make a book public, on instruction and stuff, it would be useful, and the fact you can have a sign that will let you read it is even more useful.

For example, people make exp farms, and tend to have a small room cramped with signs, that are really not pleasent to read, and sometimes the farm owner need to repeat them and re-re-explain, since the signs aren't that fulfilling, but it the owner were to have a magical way to let his customers read the full instructions while he's not on, maybe it'd save him lots of time.

Or for another example, making a free for all magazine, and instead of making loads of copies, just one sign for people to check out when they do, or it could be used as a list of prices in a shop.

What about adventures, and parkours? wouldn't it be better to have the story-line in a book form rather than tons of signs that probably people will skip after a while?

Also, things like tutorials usually have a chamber full of signs! why not one click that let's you see it better all concentrated in one place?

P.S-Cats, here is the other part of my essay, xoxoxo

MohDaol
11-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Or for another example, making a free for all magazine, and instead of making loads of copies, just one sign for people to check out when they do.

I was actually thinking of sending each person in my kingdom the latest news and updates, but If I had one [Book] sign on a billboard that would probably be 100 times better :D I agree with this idea, hope it gets implemented

nirosu
11-09-2013, 03:40 PM
I was actually thinking of sending each person in my kingdom the latest news and updates, but If I had one [Book] sign on a billboard that would probably be 100 times better :D I agree with this idea, hope it gets implemented

Would be good for posting contest rules, prices of stuff in player made shops, credits(a sign for each person could take a while), news.

this thing might revive the books into use once more, other than ripping the books apart by enchanting armours and tools >.>

Ryuuga
11-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Would be good for posting contest rules, prices of stuff in player made shops, credits(a sign for each person could take a while), news.

this thing might revive the books into use once more, other than ripping the books apart by enchanting armours and tools >.>
although it's true that a "book" like sign would be handy they would need to know how to use it first (and people are capable of not knowing how it works/unable to figure it out themselves). 2ndly an essay is not a welcome way of reading the rules. 20 signs are way more likely to be read by me because the info is short and exact instead of an essay which makes me tired before I even start reading it.

btw sparkles I miss that plugin too (not 100 sure but I thought I saw a plugin that could be it so maybe it's just not turned on?) :S

nirosu
11-09-2013, 08:51 PM
although it's true that a "book" like sign would be handy they would need to know how to use it first (and people are capable of not knowing how it works/unable to figure it out themselves). 2ndly an essay is not a welcome way of reading the rules. 20 signs are way more likely to be read by me because the info is short and exact instead of an essay which makes me tired before I even start reading it.

btw sparkles I miss that plugin too (not 100 sure but I thought I saw a plugin that could be it so maybe it's just not turned on?) :S

Place a book in it, or make the sign while holding book, w/e the plugin guys do, it's up to them to pick the method, we could have it that with right click you can read the book, and with shift click, the owner could place a book(or replace), and as default the first time to press it(shift or not) will let you put a book in.

It'll be easy to do a prompt message saying:"You've made a [Book] sign successfully, please right click the sign and put a finished readable book."
Also, sign functions like lift signs and gate are actually more complex, I haven't used them for like a year because I didn't know how to use them, so relatively, this is quite simple in the described method above.(if it's possible)

And for the 2nd thing, rules are just an example, I agree some stuff are better with signs, but when it comes to messy things with loads of info, unlike "No grieffing" which is described in two words... then it might be needed, but then again, it has alot of possibilities, too much to fit in signs :P so just give me a book sign and i'll write them down :P

honkin_pigs
11-09-2013, 11:11 PM
i could see this is a good feature if put to good use :)

nirosu
16-09-2013, 09:14 PM
The book sign could always be used also for much creative stuff as well, for adventures, for directions, credits.... it could even be a spoiler! you'll have a riddle, and if you give up you could click on the book and see the answer.
The feature itself is nothing more than a tool, but it allows much possibilities, from community libraries to historic descriptions of the server's monuments and players, from comment too big for a sign to a review, from a chore list for house members to a list of objectives of clans... there is a huge variety of ways to use such a feature, and unlike some of my past hopeless suggestions, this does not give any "o/p tool" or hurts players, it doesn't hurt or objects any already implemented feature, it is a new tool, a tool to spread words over the server without spam, a tool to leave our words to be left forever(metaphorically)... Not everyone must use it, but that doesn't mean everyone shouldn't, with the mail system being unable to handle big messages, and signs being no better than a few words, a book could be also a deeper way of communication, and having a book sign to inform all who are meant to read the message is probably the best way that we could find as of today.

They say a picture worth a thousand words... well, in this case, a book is worth a thousand signs.

Sorry for the late reply, just today I finished a big test so I now I had time to think of what is right to say, as I see this suggestion as a major improvement to our server.

Stoux
05-10-2013, 02:36 AM
Rejected. See: Thread/Post (http://forums.slapgaming.com/showthread.php?8824-Help-books&p=129747&viewfull=1#post129747)