Drisana with respect, they came up with a way to stop it spawning yes but in fairness Ryuuga doesn't mention testing it on an ethos grinder just that he found a way to almost shut off the spawner, I stress Almost. Lordgandalf again made a suggestion but again not tested on a grinder just an option for reducing light. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the time and effort they put into finding out what they have however you have to appreciate that a lot of time and effort has been put in on my part over a long period of time to build these grinders so im sorry if I sound a little un-greatful. The methods they came up with are fine but im now in a position where I have to find a way to make these other methods work with these grinders or simply destroy them all and start again. Again I come back to the fact that i've always been able to do it before and now I can't, otherwise I would never have built the spawners in the first place. yet no one seems to want to address this issue. I accept Naith's answer and will do what I can to find a way to make them work without lava. Thank you for your help everyone.