Sounds Like A Plan! - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like

Project Suggestion: Public Libraries

Dear members of the SLAP-Gaming minecraft server, I've a new idea for a project I might make, please take a moment of your time if you are interested in enriching our server's community.

Basically, as the title suggests, the project is to make public libraries, the libraries will be held on plots, up to one per town, but not all the towns, mostly the new towns.

The Library will function in either two ways, let me first describe way one:

The first way is to have a pay library, you pay for a book, and you get ALL the money back when you return it, unless you are late in returning it, and also might be fined extra, if not accused for stealing, which is basically a bannable offence.

- This method will involve members of a town as volunteers working at the library with access to books and making sure the books are safe.

However, I believe way number two is the best, mostly because it most practical and it has nearly no flaws, but it might not be possible, let me explain:

The second way is having the books available 24/7 and accessible through a [book] sign, a pending suggestion that wasn't approved yet nor been rejected, the benefit of this method is that the books cannot be stolen at all(except the owner of the sign), and they are accessible 24/7 to everyone, you can just click the sign, and read the book!

Why is it that better than the first way?

Even if you take out of account the chances of books being lost or stolen in the first way, which btw might take precious time of our staff to dealing with it, then we also have the issue of book copying, as you should know, VIPs are able to copy books, and as of 1.7, books can be copied by everyone in an efficient way, but that would result in breaking the copyrights of the book writer, that will happen if a book will be copied than later sold or used by some generic library.... in other words, it would be stealing, we want books to be read, and not be sold or abused without the writer's approval.

! - If you want to express your support in the [book] sign suggestion, or read more about what does it suppose to do, just go to the suggestion page, here's a direct link, make sure to like it if you support it, so it will be proved as useful in the eyes of the server's higher ups. link - http://forums.slapgaming.com/showthread.php?8734-book-signs -!

What will the libraries offer?

- Each month, the books available will be replaced, but that doesn't mean that they will not be seen again, just not that month, this is to ensure having a variety of books and not reading the same books over and over.

-A special chest, with hopper, will be in any of the libraries, and is especially made for book donations, each month I, or any staff of the Quill library, will collect the books, check if their content is appropriate, and the next month, if there's a place in the libraries, the submitted books will be available, also, we'll try searching for the writer if we find his or her book good in it's quality, and we may give gifts and "royalties" for the book(s).

-We'll also have books available for sale, the books sold can be either premium books, or books that are or were available for all at the libraries, to give you the chance to enjoy your favorite books any time you want, we won't accuse copying the books as stealing in this method, as we are a no-profit library, but we'd appreciate you keeping them your own.

! - If the book sign suggestion is rejected, then we'll be looking for volunteers, but if we won't find enough volunteers, the project will be cancelled, but the books will still be available through our main library:The Quill Library, but with a fee, and low accessibility due to lack of staff and opening hours. - !
    Last edited by nirosu; 02-10-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    / _____ \/_____\
    <({U})> . . <({U})>
    /\

Nirosu

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    tl;dr

3. Likes honkin_pigs, Jackster21, Swiftblade, Stoux liked this post
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    gj >.>
    / _____ \/_____\
    <({U})> . . <({U})>
    /\

Nirosu

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    Aphotyx
    Minecraft Name
    Swiftblade16
    Starcraft Name
    Swiftay
    I think its a cool idea. The thing is alot of people hate reading books (most). I would say if we were to do this than keep them around 10-50 pages not to long or too short. I also like idea 2 better because actual users will not be occupied when they are working at the library. Good idea Niro

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GamingKarrot View Post
    I think its a cool idea. The thing is alot of people hate reading books (most). I would say if we were to do this than keep them around 10-50 pages not to long or too short. I also like idea 2 better because actual users will not be occupied when they are working at the library. Good idea Niro
    people don't HATE books.... they just rather not read them, but I'm pretty sure that if anyone had access to them like way 2, one is bound to look at one of the books, and might pass a few words to his friends, doesn't matter if you actually read it, after all, the book holds a story, and unless the book itself uses symbolic words and meanings, you can go tell the story anyway you like
    / _____ \/_____\
    <({U})> . . <({U})>
    /\

Nirosu

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    ryuuga
    Minecraft Name
    ryuuga
    Quote Originally Posted by GamingKarrot View Post
    I believe the max amount of pages in a book is alredy 50 for MC boks so you won't find any bigger than that unless you count multiple volumes as one book :S

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    LittleLeprechaun
    Minecraft Name
    LittleLeprechaun
    Personally, in MC, I don't ovarly like reading. But if I had too or wanted too at that moment, I would want the book to be 25 pages MAX

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    UrbanPretzle
    Minecraft Name
    jimred9
    Quote Originally Posted by horsegal00 View Post
    Personally, in MC, I don't ovarly like reading. But if I had too or wanted too at that moment, I would want the book to be 25 pages MAX
    Yep same here...

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's discuss the project instead of the book's leangth.... since it's up to the writer, want 25 pages? write 25 pages, we'll have books made by people, and we'll try having a variety that includes both long and short books >.>
    / _____ \/_____\
    <({U})> . . <({U})>
    /\

Nirosu

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    UrbanPretzle
    Minecraft Name
    jimred9
    Will it be a not for profit group nirosu???