PDA

View Full Version : got a question about shops on the server.

veryunderstated
23-06-2012, 05:33 AM
I was informed that we can't use city plots to run shops anymore, is there any way we can get an explanation? without the shops being in a city we pretty much have no chance of finding customers now. no one is going to trek into the wild to buy from me when they can use the spawn store. that sounds like an unfair monopoly. I still wanna know why there isn't some sort of Mall or anything like that where people can buy a stall and sell from there. I hope we can talk about this and come to a good solution as this just seems wrong.

GunSlinger4750
23-06-2012, 01:12 PM
most people just post in the char saying: "come to my shop great deals - selling diamonds 50% cheaper than the spawn shop!" or something, which probably works better. if someone is walking around the city, and they see a shop, 99% of the time the shop owner will be offline, and they won't wait.

iainj
23-06-2012, 01:16 PM
If we have shops all that happens is that everyone sells things for $0.01 more that the price the shop sells things for.

Jackster21
23-06-2012, 03:42 PM
If we have shops all that happens is that everyone sells things for $0.01 more that the price the shop sells things for.

exactly,

then eventually, people keep undercutting and undercutting until its silly prices, like diamonds for $0.25 each!

by having 1 centralised shop at spawn, the prices are moderated and controlled.

however, if you want items adding to be able to be /sell 'd to the server, or new items added to the shop, make a suggestion on the Plugin/Server Suggestions topic!

veryunderstated
23-06-2012, 04:14 PM
I would use the /sell command more often if they prices weren't such a ripoff compared the what the price to buy them is. $50 for a $375 music disc is pathetic. I also don't understand what the problem with people having their own stores is. cheaper prices encourages people to buy and sell. A competitive market is a good thing in my opinion. plus trying to sell things in chat is a joke, when you advertise what you're selling people get pissed at you for supposedly spamming chat so you never get around to selling anything. I also don't understand why one needs to be online to have a shop, but whatever.

veryunderstated
23-06-2012, 04:47 PM
having 1 centralised shop at spawn, the prices are moderated and controlled.

what you're talking about is Keynesian economics and that doesn't work well. it devalues things badly. if you used a free market user run system a chance then you'd see a boom in how things are bought and sold here. allowing the users to the set the market value is really the only way to have anything be fair and honest.

Jackster21
23-06-2012, 05:12 PM
I would use the /sell command more often if they prices weren't such a ripoff compared the what the price to buy them is. $50 for a $375 music disc is pathetic. I also don't understand what the problem with people having their own stores is. cheaper prices encourages people to buy and sell. A competitive market is a good thing in my opinion.

its a survival server, the objective of the server is to survive and gather materials, the shop's prices are high to try and encourage people to go out and farm materials, not be lazy and purchase them.

same with the /sell command, it means you have to work harder to earn money if you want to use the shop.

plus trying to sell things in chat is a joke, when you advertise what you're selling people get pissed at you for supposedly spamming chat so you never get around to selling anything. I also don't understand why one needs to be online to have a shop, but whatever.

we are adding a new chat plugin this/next week which allow channels.

there will be a trade channel.