PDA

View Full Version : [IDEA] Banned subjects

PHoenix4521
21-09-2012, 11:01 AM
ok so i have recently discovered there are certain subjects admin would prefere not to be discussed in chat that are not so obvious. such as Hitler. Now although i may not fully understand the reasoning behind such a decision i do not want to continually upset admin by discussing these said "forbbiden" subjects. could we please get a list of things that fall into this category so people know from the get go what can and cant be talked about.

flrnprdmn
21-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Hey phoenix,

It's not like there are some forbidden phrases and such, but we expect you as a part of our community to judge what to talk about in chat. Every server in the whole minecraft community does so. I have not experienced any server where the staff team is not like this.

Example Hitler: I am German. I don't appreciate what Hitler did, infact, it is the worst thing that ever happened to our history, to the world's history. As Jack already stated, he has killed 6 million innocent people and even started a world war! So if I'm reading this correctly, you are representing the opinion that Hitler did nothing wrong?
In all respect, but this is utter nonsense. Look in your history book!

So yes, I forbid everything concerning Hitler and what he did. It's not what Minecraft chat discussion subjects are for.

As a warning, I personally will put you on zero-tolerance; if I happen to read something similar to this again, no matter if it's in chat or here, I will take my actions.
This also applies to everyone else.

You will not get a list of forbidden subjects, I have the faith in all players to judge what is an appropriate subject in chat by themselves.

WirelessPillow
21-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Alright it would seem the "what can we not talk about" thread has focused a bit to much on hitler.

There are many topics that spark unwanted insults and bad memories, talking about todays war in the middle east for example can cause people who agree on it to argue with the ones who disagree. We as staff expect people to understand what is and isn't controversial to talk about as if it offends people on the news or real world, it will offend people on the internet. This is especially important as we have a lot of younger members on the server and these arguments serve no purpose other then to egg them on or agree with someone they like without understanding the actual topics.

Keep in mind what you are about to talk about before starting a conversation about it and things should be fine.

PHoenix4521
22-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Right ok let me just straiten a few things out,First of all i dont agree with what hitler did in any aspect at all and how you came to the conclusion i did from my previos post is beyond me?? Secondly it was not the fact we can't discuss Hitler that i didn't understand it was the fact i couldn't even say his name even though it was in no reference to the Hitler from Germany's history. i understand i didn't make this clear but as Wirelesspillow quite rightly mentioned i didn't expect Hitler to be the focus of this post. Thirdly i would just like to state for the record i have never started a conversation about any sensative subject on this server and nor do i intend to. i fully understand that certain subjects may upset or/and offend. i have children of my own that play minecraft and am fully aware of the kinds of things i do not want my children exposed to whilst playing games.

Back on subject, It was just an idea, i thought i would make the suggestion of a post that informs people of the kinds of things they should not discuss on the server. just figured if it was laid out for people then there would be no confusion.

Wirelesspillow thank you for your response.

Jackster21
22-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Right ok let me just straiten a few things out,First of all i dont agree with what hitler did in any aspect at all and how you came to the conclusion i did from my previos post is beyond me?? Secondly it was not the fact we can't discuss Hitler that i didn't understand it was the fact i couldn't even say his name even though it was in no reference to the Hitler from Germany's history. i understand i didn't make this clear but as Wirelesspillow quite rightly mentioned i didn't expect Hitler to be the focus of this post. Thirdly i would just like to state for the record i have never started a conversation about any sensative subject on this server and nor do i intend to. i fully understand that certain subjects may upset or/and offend. i have children of my own that play minecraft and am fully aware of the kinds of things i do not want my children exposed to whilst playing games.

Back on subject, It was just an idea, i thought i would make the suggestion of a post that informs people of the kinds of things they should not discuss on the server. just figured if it was laid out for people then there would be no confusion.

Wirelesspillow thank you for your response.

I do see where you are coming from with this whole list idea, but it's really, there is no set list?
People just need to use common sense and realise what is right, and was in wrong for a public chat on a game server used from people aged from 8 years old, up to and over 40.
There's a time and a place for discussions on certain topics and used in certain context.

Mainly, anything that could be perceived by others to be offensive or upsetting shouldn't be discussed in public chat.
If you are discussing something that we deem not suitable, then a staff member should contact you in a mature and sensible manner informing you where you have gone wrong.
They will not just come all guns blazing kicking, banning, or whatever.
If they do do that, then that will be actioned.

But all in all, just use common sense and think before you speak! :)

flrnprdmn
22-09-2012, 02:32 PM
In this case,

I'd like to excuse myself for that.
I know it's been harsh and I do realise now that the whole thing went the way it is now.
I can only agree on what WirelessPillow said, I can't stress enough that it has to be your decision what to talk about and what not.

Therefore, I am uplifting the warning from the previous post, but please keep in mind that controversial subjects are a tough thing on here and it will be, even when you get to read such a post and then wanna say something to that.

Again, I'd like to excuse myself;
flrnprdmn.