PDA

View Full Version : Poll: [MC] Starter Kit for new players?

Jackster21
15-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Starter Kit!

What do you guys all think?
A starter kit when you first join the server?

1 stone shovel

1 stone pickaxe

1 stone sword

1 stone axe
1 feather (for checking WG's)
1 Book containing useful information
5 cookies

Any objections?

Any suggestions?

Please vote/comment.

Thanks.

Cats_say_moo
15-05-2013, 05:00 PM
See this is what stumps me, It is a free build server yet is it up to us to give then started items? But on the other side, Wouldn't it be concidered non surivial aspect?
Dunno

iainj
15-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Would you then remove the staring balance that people get when they join the server - isn't this designed to allow people to get the basics that they need when they first join?

Jackster21
15-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Would you then remove the staring balance that people get when they join the server - isn't this designed to allow people to get the basics that they need when they first join?

It was, but builders can't use the shop, and some fail to work out they have to apply etc.

The main issue is we are slumping in numbers, and want to try and keep people a bit better, so by giving them a little push at the start it may help.
If they don't want the items, they can /sell or drop them.

lordgandalf
15-05-2013, 05:06 PM
peepz get money and the server is a survival server.
so i dont see why we should give them items when they can get the stuff for their axe or other stuff from the RW
and i think the acomplishment to make youre own axe and sword and stuff is more rewarding then just getting it from the start

nirosu
15-05-2013, 05:21 PM
these items are so basic it doesn't matter if they get them or not, but if we can give them, why not? it's better this way, and the 5 cookies sure can be helpfull for the first day of survivel, even so, shouldn't we give them a guide-book as well :P?

horsegal00
15-05-2013, 05:43 PM
I think the 5 cookies is a good idea, but instead of stone, give wood so they still have to work at the start to get cobble and such.

WirelessPillow
15-05-2013, 05:48 PM
I agree with Horsegal, make the tools wood which would indicate pretty quickly that they would need to replace them fast.

Jackster21
15-05-2013, 07:29 PM
I agree with Horsegal, make the tools wood which would indicate pretty quickly that they would need to replace them fast.

Wood die too quick imo, stone last just that little bit longer, that was my thought.

Blake
15-05-2013, 07:58 PM
give them like 3 pices of bread caue cookies can only go so far

Cats_say_moo
15-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Maybe a book too that would help them with applying for membership whenever needed? Would help a lot with the confusion people have with applying :3

xiTropicz
15-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Im saying yes because of the amount of new people that join the server that are trying to look around for land die before they get there, due to the large spawn city. The book with info could be good aswell, would save a few questions. And the tools mean you are not completely defenceless against mobs.

Wackmo
15-05-2013, 09:49 PM
I love Cat's idea on giving a book on how to become a member. That way, regardless of whether the new builder actually opens the book or not, they still know that they have resources to learn how to become a member.

MADesigner
15-05-2013, 10:06 PM
If you want to kinda shotgun this a bit, why not make a slap-MCTutorial video? Cover all the basics and show step by step where you go to apply. I doubt a lot of kids will take the time to read a "lame book". Then you could include a link to the video in the spawn message as well as in the book you're talking about giving them. As for the start off items, I'd say sure. You could even make tastier starter packs for those willing to pay for them. I'll stop there before my more complicated ideas start oozing out.

Slacky
15-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Most people that join the server strugle a bit with their food situation, so I think adding food is a good thing! And as said in previous post, I think wood tools are the way to go.

Foosh
15-05-2013, 10:20 PM
I vote no. Your argument is invalid.

Someb0dy
15-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Yes , I agree on people getting a starter pack but as horsegal mentioned before I think having wood tools/weapons would be better so they should get an early taste of "survival". The comment about those breaking easily, yes they do, but they are only essentially needed to make the stone tools that way they may appreciate their tools better. I don't think they can /sell them because you can't /sell tools/weapons to the server and I don't think anyone already in the server would like to buy either stone or wood stuff. Also, isn't the "/sell" option disabled for starter people since they will be builders and they cannot use economy commands? Also, I agree with the idea of a tutorial "tutorial" video :) . Finally, I don't think the feather would be that useful because when builders join they have to go through the tutorial and all that new stuff , checking WGs could take their focus elsewhere, at least, in the beginning instead of learning the basics of the server.

Cats_say_moo
15-05-2013, 10:23 PM
If you want to kinda shotgun this a bit, why not make a slap-MCTutorial video? Cover all the basics and show step by step where you go to apply. I doubt a lot of kids will take the time to read a "lame book". Then you could include a link to the video in the spawn message as well as in the book you're talking about giving them. As for the start off items, I'd say sure. You could even make tastier starter packs for those willing to pay for them. I'll stop there before my more complicated ideas start oozing out.

Yes but would people really google something just to watch a video on applying?, Also I think someone made one already on applying if im not mistaken?

burning_gemio
16-05-2013, 01:11 AM
I don't really think there should be one.. Since the server is SURVIVAL I think it'd be a terrible Idea.

SparkleUnidog
16-05-2013, 02:57 AM
These work well. Why?

Because some sucessefull servers I have been to you start with Iron tools, iron sword, porkchops, even some emeralds... so i don't think it matters if their stone or not.

Yes, it's a survival server, but when you first join and you have a starter kit makes you feel confident at going straight into mining and surviving. It also stops the complaining of new players crying over the fact that they don't have nothing to use, and keep diening when they first join. You guys don't know it, but the amount of modreqs we get of new players saying "I need this" and "can I have this" or "give me this" is very... common. A starter kit could prefent this and allow us to get on with more important things, instead of wasting time with modreqs like these.

Also, it would keep players in. Say your new... and you have no idea how to become a member, or for some reason you can't. You can't use the shop, can you? What if your english isn't great... and you can't understand much, but need help at creating some tools? You're kinda... stuck and alone of surviving aren't you? Believe me, if I was like that and there wasn't any PVP games or suck going on, I'd get bored real quick and go find another server to play on.

We're working to keep players in, not out, right? So I think having something that nearly EVERY OTHER SERVER have, that has over hundreds of players at once is a good thing.

you guys might not like the change, but change is what the server needs. So I support this.

Zerohax
16-05-2013, 04:18 AM
add 10 torches

leon_vakt
16-05-2013, 07:42 AM
You shuld not just have a kit for the new players (your exsample is a good one) But you suld have a kit for Stater kit for VIP and kit for Staff

leon_vakt
16-05-2013, 07:45 AM
You shuld not just have a kit for the new players (your exsample is a good one) But you suld have a kit for Stater kit for VIP and kit for Staff

And its just an idea!! VIP shuld have /feed (since they donated)

MADesigner
16-05-2013, 08:32 AM

If you're a VIP and you're too lazy to feed yourself, as easy as it is to do so, then you should have to donate separately for such a command. The idea that because a person donated once they get new perks all the time seems to me like taking advantage. Theres already good perks for that donation, and while some could be tweaked slightly in my opinion, it doesn't warrant any greater sense of entitlement. That being said, this conversation isn't about VIPs. If you're a VIP then chances are you've gotten into the swing of things and found a niche that suits you on our server. Let's make sure we keep the topic on how to better guide people through the newcomer stage more smoothly.

Hiddey
16-05-2013, 10:27 AM
I like the idea. For me, having the tools from either wood or stone matters little as both of them are basic and will break rather quick. I suggest to replace the feather with a small number of torches and to replace the cookies with bread, which is a more "basic" food in my eyes. The book is a nice touch, but I have a feeling very few people will read it.

Laegluin
16-05-2013, 01:20 PM
I think giving everybody stone tools will remove a lot of fun if you are playing minecraft for the first time. One feather and a guide book is a good idea though, as it is no real advantage.

MADesigner
16-05-2013, 03:26 PM
I think giving everybody stone tools will remove a lot of fun if you are playing minecraft for the first time. One feather and a guide book is a good idea though, as it is no real advantage.

A lot of the fun? When I played Minecraft for the first time it was in single player. I didn't bring a lot of annoying noobish behavior along with me and any questions I had were about how the community was run and what the rules were. What we have a lot of now are kids coming on not knowing a damn thing when they could have figured it out in single player or through the wiki. This strategy of giving a starter kit is to target these very people. They're not used to the game yet and quite honestly aren't even that concerned with the fact that our server is a survival server. They just want to start having a good time from the word go. Plus this sets a precedence for what they can expect to get as a newcomer. If they're already going to ask the staff for handouts, which they do, then this is just a way of heading that problem off a bit. As for everyone else, why should you be bent out of shape over receiving somewhat insignificant items? If these thing are going to hinder you true survivalist longings, then toss them into lava. We have lava conveniently placed at the spawn area. Basically what I'm saying here is that the difference will be negligible for those who know their stuff, and helpful for those who absolutely don't. I'm still all for it.

Laegluin
17-05-2013, 01:58 PM
A lot of the fun? When I played Minecraft for the first time it was in single player. I didn't bring a lot of annoying noobish behavior along with me and any questions I had were about how the community was run and what the rules were. What we have a lot of now are kids coming on not knowing a damn thing when they could have figured it out in single player or through the wiki. This strategy of giving a starter kit is to target these very people. They're not used to the game yet and quite honestly aren't even that concerned with the fact that our server is a survival server. They just want to start having a good time from the word go. Plus this sets a precedence for what they can expect to get as a newcomer. If they're already going to ask the staff for handouts, which they do, then this is just a way of heading that problem off a bit. As for everyone else, why should you be bent out of shape over receiving somewhat insignificant items? If these thing are going to hinder you true survivalist longings, then toss them into lava. We have lava conveniently placed at the spawn area. Basically what I'm saying here is that the difference will be negligible for those who know their stuff, and helpful for those who absolutely don't. I'm still all for it.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I don't really care whether this gets added, but I personnally enjoyed harvesting my first wood log and discovering all the possibilities.

leon_vakt
17-05-2013, 03:17 PM

It was just an idea, so its fine if dont comes, Sorry Jack and Charlotina I saw the disliked :(

leon_vakt
17-05-2013, 03:19 PM

That an good idea, wen i joined i liked i must start like an normal minecraft world :D :D

nirosu
17-05-2013, 04:24 PM
That an good idea, wen i joined i liked i must start like an normal minecraft world :D :D

You do know you can make your point using one reply.... you can always press the eidt button, it's not like an hour passed since your last reply... only 2 minutes, that none has seen -_-

Anyways, I think that a guide book and stone tools are good, maybe 3 apples, to honor our trees, but however, our server does say "We have cookies", so cookies are also good.

Hiddey
18-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Random thought: How about, in stead of out right giving it to them, putting it in their enderchest inventory, then put one down at the tutorial?

horsegal00
18-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Random thought: How about, in stead of out right giving it to them, putting it in their enderchest inventory, then put one down at the tutorial?

Surely a fair few of the people who join dont bother going to the tutorial, and if they do they wont open the Ender Chest and get the items in there, so if this happens (it should) they should get it as soon as they join

SparkleUnidog
19-05-2013, 03:59 AM
I think some players here are still missing the point.

This kit is to help get our new members who join a little push and head start. A lot of players join then leave because it's straight to surviving - no items given to them to start with, No real understanding how to become a member, no PVP or hunger games happening, no creative, nothing. To them, this could look like a normal single player mode but online with players instead. what's the difference? Nothing really, so why stay? They'll log out and try to find another server with more going on at that moment. This is a way to KEEP players here, and stop the clutter of our modreqs with "give me this" and "give me that".

As I've said, HUNDREDS of successful and popular survival servers, who hold about 250/300 active players a day, give new players WAY BIGGER and RARER starter kits than what we're suggesting. And I bet you've all played these servers and didn't complain being given such items right off the bat.

Cats_say_moo
19-05-2013, 02:50 PM
I think some players here are still missing the point.

This kit is to help get our new members who join a little push and head start. A lot of players join then leave because it's straight to surviving - no items given to them to start with, No real understanding how to become a member, no PVP or hunger games happening, no creative, nothing. To them, this could look like a normal single player mode but online with players instead. what's the difference? Nothing really, so why stay? They'll log out and try to find another server with more going on at that moment. This is a way to KEEP players here, and stop the clutter of our modreqs with "give me this" and "give me that".

As I've said, HUNDREDS of successful and popular survival servers, who hold about 250/300 active players a day, give new players WAY BIGGER and RARER starter kits than what we're suggesting. And I bet you've all played these servers and didn't complain being given such items right off the bat.

Yes but not trying to be the bear of bad news but slap does nessasarly have 250+ players daily, 5 at the max at night xD, Dunno thinking new ways of getting the server out there with advertising and sorts on different forums would get more people on daily. I don't know how having a book or even a survival kit in game would help attract people to the server :/

nirosu
19-05-2013, 03:20 PM
attract? no, keep them, yes.

Cats_say_moo
19-05-2013, 03:26 PM
attract? no, keep them, yes.

Yes but if you saw you had stone tools and some food and a book they aren't going to say hey this is the best server ever, im going to stay here. Many many many servers have started kits not something that is very unique to keep them here thou

Jackster21
19-05-2013, 03:28 PM
75% in favor of this!

This feature will be implemented within the next few days!

Thank you for all contributing!

CuddLyKoaLa
20-05-2013, 06:26 AM
If you're going to give people this stuff the instant they join, please set the server to HC mode because I lasted over 1 month before my first PvE death. A death caused thanks to sudden super-lag and high places.(Edit: Unless you count no-armor pvp vs diamond-wearing players while wielding a red flower)

Honestly, after 5 minutes in the wild or RW, you'll have iron and will be smelting armor, anyway. At which point, no mob will ever ever ever kill you. By day two(assuming one has RL commitments), you'll literally be able to swim in lava for over 30 seconds because fire prot is pretty OP.

My vote:
A) No
B) HC Mode
C) If not A, then B

=)

SparkleUnidog
20-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Oh Cuddly, then you might as well say this to every other server out there, since they have already been doing this for ages now. xD

We're behind times. We need to do things that attract and keep players here. :3

And Cats... i have NEVER seen more than about 20-30 players at once (one time was about just over 40 players... ONE TIME) So no, we DON'T hold about 250-300 players ALL AT ONCE. Yes, we have/had about that many members, but not all logged on AT THE SAME TIME. This is what we're striving for! :D

CuddLyKoaLa
20-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Heya, SparkleAwesomedog! ^.^

Yeah, my post was half jesting and half serious (that's why I created the multiple choice in such a way that it forces something that I'd actually like to see, even if I know it's not realistic! [HC Mode] <3)

Fear not, fairest maiden; Most posts I make can usually be taken as light-hearted! *\o/*

Deitres
20-05-2013, 07:13 PM
I think the main issue is that the difficulty gap between survival and hardcore is pretty vast. One is so easy a cave man could do it, and the other is rather unforgiving. Any argument based on the fact that we are "making survival easy" is invalid, because survival is already so easy that it is nearly impossible to make it easier. Thus, we should focus more on attracting/keeping members, and less on trying to keep the final shred of difficulty that survival maintains (which is the first night).

CuddLyKoaLa
21-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Personally, Deitres, that's the point I was making. It does not matter. I just took a different and sarcastic approach about it, because honestly, the only people this game is hard for is those that just loaded it for the first time 5 minutes ago.

Like I said, half serious, half in jest. One half being that this game is not hard, so, giving people helpful starter items is a good idea. The other half making a joke about forcing 'difficulty'(hence, my intentionally absurd multiplue-choice!) when there is none barring lag and falling or lag and suffocation(which is usually due to end-user's internet and not the server :D) since, in any setting, mobs can be LoS'd, regardless of difficulty setting. :) Sorry if there was confusion there. o/

nirosu
21-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Why do we even keep commenting on this? this thing was already decided, shouldn't we lock the topic? derp?

CuddLyKoaLa
21-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Why do we even keep commenting on this? this thing was already decided, shouldn't we lock the topic? derp?

Those in charge of the forums will decide when a topic gets locked. There is no rule about not having friendly discussion in a poll after it's complete, that I'm aware of. Especially when it involves a discussion where there is literally zero animosity between the participants of a conversation.

If you feel that there's no more to say, that's fine. You are allowed to not open the post again, if you wish. However, I will reply when someone addresses me or something that I said.

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated. derp?

Telluur
21-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Alright, Change has gone into effect.
All new players will spawn with the items stated in the OP, with the exception of the book (is not finished yet.)

Since the after-poll discussion is over, I will lock this thread.

Thanks all for the input :)