PDA

View Full Version : Nirosu's Block Theories: Patterns and you.

nirosu
20-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Wanne see more? Menu : http://forums.slapgaming.com/showthread.php?7816-Nirosu-s-Menu

Heya, this week's block theory won't be about a block(thanks to a certain someone.... *cough* mojang *cough*).

This week we're holding a special one of a kind article, and you'll find out why at the end of the article, it's about the wonderfull building way that each builder must face sooner or later, Patterns.

Your floors seems dull? you have huge wall? well, time for some patterns.

You see, patterns are the details of the exterior, they can be used in placing blocks, or in floors, let's define building pattern, a way of building, a design of a building, where and how the blocks will be placed, for that instance, a square house is a pattern indeed, a pattern may be also a repeat in special circumstances, like whenever you put a window you'll make it 2x3, that is also a pattern.

But we are discussing patterns for floors and walls, which are more like, the addition to a build, to make it better.

My speciality in patterns is mostly about quartz, I wuv quartz.

Well, here are pictures of some patterns I made, some with quartz, and some not, do note you may replace the blocks used, that is the thing with patterns, they can be recolored, the non-quartz pattterns I made are ment to be recolored, and they just show the specific relation of color between the parts of the pattern. You see, patterns can only fit when used correctly, just like every other block.

This fugly pieces are examples of patterns that SHOULD be recolored, it shows you the balance and simmetry a good pattern possess, the gravel and stone are placed to show that if you replace both(both the stone and gravel with 2 diff blocks), make sure that they have similar color, a pattern must not blind one's eyes, just like some HUGE FREAKING CHECKERED FLOORS do, seariously, it makes my eyes bleed to see checkered floor in a huge place with 2 colors, if you have to do so in a huge place, try using 2x2 tiles, it makes it better for the eye, but don't be mistaken, checkered floors in a place like a kitchen should be used, even in bathrooms it's possible, but in a living room? it can make a disaster if the checkered floor is composed out of 2 extremly diffrent colors, like green and purple.

The one on the left is simply nice for the eyes, it's not too flashy, and it's good for rooms that are not exactly square, like rectangles, and the one on the right CAN be recolored, it's basicly too expensive, it can llook nicer with cheaper blocks, patterns are the thing that makes a pile of rubble into art.

These are 8x8 and 6x6 patterns, do note that you can take the pattern apart into layers, like an onion, and recompose it with parts of other patterns like this, in this case, you can modify your pattern easialy from these :D

If ya see an X on the top left pattern that resembles a vase, this x marks a spot which lapiz or something can be placed instead, the top right pattern is the same vase-like pattern just in sandstone. The 2 bottom patterns are nice and quartzy <3 patterns that are like 3x3, 5x5,7x7(you get it I hope, (2n+1)x(2n+1)) usualy should have a center block, which the pattern revolves around.

And finally, a real pattern in action! taken from my quartz monument build which I made.

Now, you wonder, except from the nice pictures and the ugly dirt, what makes this one of a kind? Well, you see, these patterns I gave you are practicly free for your use, sure if you'd like you an give me some credit, but that was in all my blobk theories, yours for the taking.

But this time, you are part of the article, and that's the unique part:

Upload a picture of a pattern you don't mind to share, wether it's a good recolor of mine, wether it's born by inspiration from this article, or even just to show off that you already know how to make these good, but remember, any pattern you upload must be your work, and you must acknowledge that while it's in here, it may be copied by others, and make sure your pattern isn't offensive, you may be banned for uploading an offensive picture, that's not a nice experience.

Make sure to write your minecraft name when you upload, and maybe also add a tip you've learnt about patterns, for the rest of you aspiring builders, in order for us all to become better builders.

So what are you waiting for?

It's Pattern time!

~Nirosu~