PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion (Completed): Maps!

crazyredhead27
17-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Just want to say that this was nirosu's idea and I did some digging and found his original post

1.7 Itemframes and maps
Heya.

I believe maps should be allowed on item frames due to 1.7, as said by mojang :

Put them in an item frame and hang them on your wall. They’re extra big!
Lots of new colours for lots of blocks!
Now with less lag!

Due to these, I believe we should either allow maps, or #BlameMojang for lying bout it's lag-span(if it still too laggy)

(maps no longer show players in frames, that decreases lag too)

Swiftblade
17-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Rarely do I ever beleive the -Lag Free Now!- posts by any game because it's usually never fixed. I also don't find a big use for maps because our website has a live one! O MY :o. That causes zero lag and is pretty much better

crazyredhead27
17-12-2013, 09:55 PM
. I also don't find a big use for maps because our website has a live one! O MY :o. That causes zero lag and is pretty much better

Yes the server has an AMAZING live map and I use it a lot but what I'm asking is that if we could put them back into item frames because they now look SO cool! Think of this post from a builders point of view

honkin_pigs
18-12-2013, 10:30 PM
technically the livemap will cause lag as it's an extra plugin to the server, and every plugin slows the server down somewhat, or at least i think.

naithantu
19-12-2013, 12:25 AM
Decided to just test this:

http://i.imgur.com/OxMQ6gB.png

I put 231 maps on a wall. Before 1.7 this would cause tps to go down to about 1 tick per second on my server, now it was still at a steady 20. My fps however did go down to 15...
Anyways, we might re-enable item frame maps soon. I'll inform stoux/jack about this and let them decide.

Telluur
19-12-2013, 12:29 AM
technically the livemap will cause lag as it's an extra plugin to the server, and every plugin slows the server down somewhat, or at least i think.

Yes, and no. Minecraft works with a game loop (=ticks). What this means is that everything that has to do with the worlds runs on 1 thread. Every tick the server has to update the whole world, block placement, removal, loading chunks, lava & waterflow, locations of mobs/players etc and execute code called in bukkit plugins. You get server sided lag whenever: 'time needed to execute code for an arbitrary tick' > 'time reserved for that tick =1/20 second'.

Back to dynmap, dynmap is coded so that major parts of it run on another thread, reducing the effect on the game loop. The maps implemented in Minecraft, do run on the same thread as the game loop, and could potentially cause lag.

Back on topic, I hope that maps no longer create the massive amount of lag as they used to. You'll have to ask naith/stoux, they could potentially re-allow them.

crazyredhead27
23-12-2013, 10:40 AM
So um anything gunna happen with this post?

Stoux
23-12-2013, 03:37 PM
So um anything gunna happen with this post???

Not anymore since you've used more than 1 questionmark, while there is absolutely no reason for that :ph34r:

Meanwhile: Patience is key

Swiftblade
23-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Not anymore since you've used more than 1 questionmark, while there is absolutely no reason for that :ph34r:

Meanwhile: Patience is key

Those question marks, get you every time

crazyredhead27
24-12-2013, 09:52 AM
That's funny I only see one. Should have gone to specsavers :blink:

Stoux
31-12-2013, 02:01 AM
Done.