Sounds Like A Plan! - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Starter kit for the new members!

Before you go on and jump saying "This is a survival server, Survive Harder!", listen to the idea, because it might be found usefull

The idea is a starting kit that is granted when a person first logs, or in some way accsessable for builder, it won't be able to be granted more than once though, for reasons I will explain later.

The starter kit will contain not tools, but rather books:

The first book will be a book containing the rules of the server, the book itself however, won't come to replace a guide or a mod, since it would be granted once, and some things might not be fully clear, this book will contain the main rules of the server, and also how to use /modreq correctly.

The second book will be a book that explains how to become a member, again, since books can't beat a living person eplaining, and the book won't be recieved twice, it wouldn't replace a guide, but maybe this book could be granted by a mod using a special command. The book will explain what a person needs to become a member(email, 5 minutes of his time, free), and the steps from getting to the forums, registering, untill applying, since it could take much time for mods and guides to explain, and sometimes it can make a lot of pressure and lack of staff on the field, builders with patience could use the book instead.

that is the main part of the starter kit, however, if it wouldn't be enough for you to be counted as a starter kit, it might be wise to add:

"The Diffrent worlds and you"- a book that explains about the diffrent worlds(pvp, rw, the sections of spawn, the wild, end and nether), within it'll explain where to build(wild or plots, not in the rw, that would be also included in the rules as a warning) and about sethomes.

A wooden sword, pick, shovel and 2 bread - I'm not saying this won't hurt the survival aspect, and this part is not that crucial to the kit, so those of you who can't tell the diffrence of the main part and additional suggestions that are not crucial, then think before attacking and trying to fail all the suggestion.

A book about the basic commands- will contain a brieff explenation about lwc system, /home /spawn /leave and /money commands and etc.

now, apart from ^THAT^ suggestion, such a thing could be added for VIPs, like a rule book, in what cases to tp, what is unallowed, /te abuse and the benefits of VIP in short, and apart from such book, a free compass, which is clearly one of the VIP's most usefull tool.

Think about it and remmember, it's not like those new people are too lazy to go on the forum to check rules and, it's because they sometimes don't know how to use it or are new for such communities.

sincerely,
    Nirosu
    Last edited by naithantu; 28-06-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Changed Font Size

Minecraft VIP
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do like the idea of a VIP rule book being granted when you get VIP or the first time you login after getting VIP. I'm completely neutral towards the rest of the suggestion.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    llamaiord
    Minecraft Name
    Murasakiryu
    Oooo the vip book sounds like a good idea.
    I'm the one who knocks.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the books are a good idea, I like the idea

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    ryuuga
    Minecraft Name
    ryuuga
    nice idea we already have most of the books. 1 problem though... do you see anyone opening those books and then read them after they find out they're like 30 pages or more? I think a lot of people don't even bother opening them when we give it to them much less read the whole thing considering how much time it would take :S. I really like the idea but I'm very doubtfull whether it would work for new people. And not to forget the books would need to get updated every time something changed too to stay up to date (although that's more of a problem for whomever is writing the books).
    Last edited by Ryuuga; 09-04-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuga View Post
    nice idea we already have most of the books. 1 problem though... do you see anyone opening those books and then read them after they find out they're like 30 pages or more? I think a lot of people don't even bother opening them when we give it to them much less read the whole thing considering how much time it would take :S. I really like the idea but I'm very doubtfull whether it would work for new people. And not to forget the books would need to get updated every time something changed too to stay up to date (although that's more of a problem for whomever is writing the books).
    actually that's not the problem, as I said, in the books MAIN rules and such stuff will be written, it's not like we're going to write all the rules like "do not go on vent and shout like an idiot", more like "no grieffing at any world but the reasource world",
    the books won't be needing the update that often, since rules don't change that fast.

Also, as I said, the books won't be usefull for everyone(xcept the vip books, since vips are usualy more expirienced), but they might be usefull to the more expirienced new members that were in former servers and might be willing to take a bit of time to check out the wierd book they recieved when they logged on to the wonderfull world of slap, the books will not replace the role of guides, but rather reduce the amount of work needed in basic questions, I myself don't think most will take the time to read, but i'm sure some might check the books out, after all, a book that is named "How to become a member"(name is atm too long, maybe call it "membership and you") might be something worth reading.

Just like a fence in a plot can't stop all mobs from entering, so does a book can't force everyone into reading.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    I support the idea of the books, but possibly condense it into one book. They can go and read the book quickly, make everything paraphrased inside of it. Teach them about the amount of plots they can have and possibly the banned items and how to become a member. Show the simple commands and that should be all that is needed.

Minecraft VIP
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    S!ap.Krafty
    Minecraft Name
    TheKrafter1923
    I like the idea, it doesn't seem to take away from the survival aspect and could really help everyone on the server!

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    ryuuga
    Minecraft Name
    ryuuga
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKrafter19235 View Post
    I like the idea, it doesn't seem to take away from the survival aspect and could really help everyone on the server!
    okay so.. let's see I already wrote books for this the only problem would be the distribution of them. If other staff agrees with this naith would have to somehow program in that first time joiners receive a specific book and to be honest I have no clue about how hard that is to make it happen. :S

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuga View Post
    okay so.. let's see I already wrote books for this the only problem would be the distribution of them. If other staff agrees with this naith would have to somehow program in that first time joiners receive a specific book and to be honest I have no clue about how hard that is to make it happen. :S
    actually ryuuga, starter kit is built in with vanila, the thing is to program the book inside, nothing that our naithy can't possibly do <3

so I wouldn't think that's a problem that much XD