Sounds Like A Plan! - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like

Nirosu's Block theories: The carpet, and other few 1.6 things

Menu : http://forums.slapgaming.com/showthr...-Nirosu-s-Menu

Greetings Slap-members, 1.6 is a gloryious update, introducing the latest interior invention: the carpet!

You say for yourself, oh, it's a carpet, it can be a nice floor change, but do carpets hold more than just beeing a small addition to your floor?
    Perhaps you would say a dance carpet, but that is not much change from a simple carpet, let me share some of my results of my studies.

first let's figure a bit about the physics of the carpet:

Carpet can't burn, can't be grieffed by water, cannot be grieffed by lava, and can destroy falling sand/gravel, carpet is a full block in behavior, with properties of a decorative block(other decoratives such as flowers or carpet can't be placed on it), carpet does not block light, carpet can be moved by pistons, BUT can't be placed on them(on top).

Carpets can move in x and z co-ords, but not on y, can't be placed on some blocks(check the attached picture):

Badblock.jpg

because of it's many attributes, carpets can be used to hide glowstone lamps and jack o' lantern, however, not regular glowstone, ice or glass, this is quite similar to flower pot in behavior, except florwe pot is far less superior in comparison to the streangth of the carpet.

Update Edit 3rd May 2013: Carpets can now be placed on some transperet blocks, those blocks are in the middle line of the picture above, the line with the beacon, excluding the iron bars.

an interesting fact about carpets, that they can be placed on grass and mycel without destroying them, and farthermore, they won't block the spread of the grass(might slow the speed, but it has not been confirmed), and sheeps CAN EAT THE GRASS WHILE ON A CARPET! quite similar to glass, if I recall currently, therefore, making a sheep farm with the carpet is possible.

Now, carpets, as I said, it's quite imortal, it can stop lava or water, can't burn, and it also be used with a piston(not on or below the piston), AND ESPECIALY, CARPETS CAN BE USED TO COVER HOPPERS, which works similar with dropper looting with slabs, but when there are carpets, it's better looking and maybe better working! Edit: However, after the release of the newest snapshot, it seems that carpet is no longer as strong as it was, it's now easialy destroyed using either lava or water.

TO AIR or the blocks in the picture above, it'll just turn into block form.

Carpets can move normal block or destroy special blocks using a piston, it's a small extention of a piston, but they cannot move the player, which is better than slabs with pistons.

item frames and picture can be placed next to a carpet.

Now when that's done, let's see what carpet can do especialy, look at the attached picture:
    carpet.jpg
    You can make a bed using carpet and snow(snow cover is higher than carpet, makes a nice pillow), tablecloth, using the item flarmes: custon colored torch with handle, credit card reader and a ticket machine. also a campfire using brown carpet and fire!
    There are many more things up to your thinking, wether it's a cover for some furniture, or maybe pixel art for floors, the options are nearly boundless!

Update 3rd May 2013: Due to the change of carpet physics, it can now be used in new ways (on transperent type blocks) as I shall now show new interioristic Ideas in this picture:

Badblock.jpg

In the picture you can see at the top of the building ( the glass with carpet on) it's some sort of idea for a futuristic sidewalk, which the bottom is glass and the surface is carpet, it's more convinient to mark the path this way, on the blocks of coal(in the middle) there's a use of carpets on glass panes, making a new design of a desk, which is not fittable for much stuff to put on(unless you change it a bit, like putting a block with no carpet in the middle) but it allows the use of stairs as good looking chairs(seariously, it's a big no to put stairs at the block near a solid block and call it a chair, it's not even possible, but in this way you can realy SEE the chair below the table, makes it more realistic), and also it can be used as a counter(for stores and such, forget about using fences which sometimes block your items, or slabs that block your view, carpets make a great counter! Also, above the 2nd coal block, you can see glass, since now carpet can be placed on glass, it can be used to cover a look-out spot, and can be revealed/hidden using pistons, can also be helpfull to allow light to go into buildings, or even if we go to more advenced measurements, it can be used for a retractble sunroof for your car!

End of Updated part ^

Now for the other 1.6 features, basic facts:

Horse can be tamed by riding, you have to be about 1 block from the horse to ride it with right click, after it is tamed you can controll that speed deamon, if you feed it before taming, he will be easier to tame.

tamed horses, donkies, mules and other passive(non-natural) mobs can be carried with a leash, to unleash a carried mob, just right click it, to tie the mobe to a post(fence), you'll need another leash, and right click on the fence, and you'll have a nice new good looking fence with a rope attached to the mob.

you may use the leash to make mobs fly(well, carrying them while you are higher than them), and you may tie them to a fence and make cool new features, such as this idea to use a trapped mob in a ship to make a realistic ship dock, with a sheep tied to the harbor, if you let the mob some space to move, it might look like the rope is moving, like a realistic ship in water, but beware, mobs like to stay close to the fence, it's a bit hard to lock em up:

rope.jpg

wonder what else I've studied in my expiriments? well, I've learnt how to tame a horse, and some things from minecraft wiki, all the carpet facts and ideas are mine, although some might've thought of that before, and the pig in the ship tied to a rope making it look like a realistic ship is mine as well <3

Have fun, and look forward for the wonders of 1.6! join us mnext week with the crazy release of a new block, hopefully.

p.s-hay bales can be used as horse food, and building, but they don't have much things to do other than that, BUT, if you put hay bale inside an item frame, it looks a bit like uncooked paste!, delicious <3

Nirosu,
    Interior expert, master builder in training, admin wannabe.

Wanne find out more stuff?

http://forums.slapgaming.com/showthr...-Hardened-clay - Hardened Clay! (Volume 2)

http://forums.slapgaming.com/showthr...The-Coal-Block - Coal Block! (Volume 3)
    Last edited by nirosu; 15-05-2013 at 08:10 AM.

2. Likes Someb0dy liked this post
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Changed the text size to normal size, please don't make it unnecessarily big, it just makes the text more difficult to read.
    naithantu - Slap Gaming Minecraft Plugin Developer

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by naithantu View Post
    Changed the text size to normal size, please don't make it unnecessarily big, it just makes the text more difficult to read.
    excuse me and my 23 inch screen xD my bad

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, please keep this updated! Very good post.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update: it is now confirmed that if you walk on a carpet covering redstone block, the block will activate! which makes it a good method for a gate with no pressure plate attached!

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    lordgandalf
    Minecraft Name
    lordgandalf
    carpet is a walkthrough block it doesnt affect the hight youre walking on so you can even carpet below 2 block high doorways and you should be able to pass through them

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    Jackster21
    Minecraft Name
    Jackster21
    Starcraft Name
    Denby
    Quote Originally Posted by nirosu View Post
    excuse me and my 23 inch screen xD my bad
    I have a 27" screen and everytime you use big fonts it makes my eyes bleed.
    Jackster21 - Slap Gaming Owner

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    Blakethesnake04
    Minecraft Name
    LaCrepe
    Im glad someone is keeping up witht the updates!!!

From your VIP lapis loving friend Blakethesnake04 (also a panda laywer)

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    update: during the last week, minecraftwiki suggested that carpets are not efficient and they waste alot of resources(beeing crafted with 2 wool for 1 carpet), but they were wrong, because now the recipe produces 3 carpets! which is realy efficient.

take that!

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like these 1.6 updates. Keep em coming Nirosu