Sounds Like A Plan! - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Do you think a app is a good idea?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep I do

2 22.22%
  • Yep, I can also help

2 22.22%
  • No, not a good idea

5 55.56%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    UrbanPretzle
    Minecraft Name
    jimred9

Creating an app....

I have come up up with a massive idea of creating an app for the s!ap clan. I personally will be able to make it, but firstly I would like to know what you think. If this idea does go theough And if you could help at all, post below and I'll get back to you.

Also, I would love for all areas of the clan, from minecrafters to x-boxers, to read this and give your views and ideas to it.

It's a massive idea to do. But I would like to see what support I may get.....

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimred9 View Post
    I have come up up with a massive idea of creating an app for the s!ap clan
    An app for what? Android, iOS, windows phone?

I personally will be able to make it
    I highly doubt this.

Besides not giving any form of actual information as to what this app would do nor what platform it would be made for, I don't think you understand how difficult and time consuming creating an app is.
    Also, unless you've come up with a great revolutionary idea, I don't see any way in which an app could be useful.

Don't mean to stomp this idea into the ground, but this makes people think you're a great experienced app developer that can create something amazing in a matter of weeks, while you are most likely not.
    1. How much experience do you have with the required language (java/Object C/C++)
    2. How much experience do you have with the required API (it took me days and many tutorials to get a decent working (decent working as in absolutely hideous but functioning) simple menu interface going for Android... and I had already been using Java for over a year then)
    3. What does the app do?

I look forward to your answer, I really do >_>
    naithantu - Slap Gaming Minecraft Plugin Developer

3. Likes Telluur liked this post
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by naithantu View Post
    (decent working as in absolutely hideous but functioning)
    now now, don't be hating on our awesome app with my awesome photoshop skills. It was epic, yesh?

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Telluur View Post
    now now, don't be hating on our awesome app with my awesome photoshop skills.
    Now Telluur , I'm sure we both have "awesome" photoshop skills

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    UrbanPretzle
    Minecraft Name
    jimred9

This app would start off on iOS and then branch off to all other available operating systems. (even Linux )

Quote Originally Posted by naithantu View Post
    I highly doubt this.

I knew someone was going to doubt any effort that I put into this app and I am dedicated to be able to create this app with the knowledge that I have, which will be continually growing .

No I m not an app developer that can create something amazing in a matter of weeks'. All developers have a few starting steps and I am on some of these steps .

In answer to your questions naithanu...
    1 and 2) I am at the end of being a beginner for the language/programs that I will be using and this experience is still going. So I am improving and improving
    3) The whole point of the app is to be able to connect to the whole website, with a user friendly interface that makes navigating various sites an ease and also quicker for the user. It will have the live map and will also feature many other suggestions that anybody has. (please post any suggestions below, may it be a game to graphics or anythining else)

Overall I would be able to create this app and none of the negative comments may put me down. I am NOT a professional app developer and so I would like this to be a community suggestion that is open to ideas and good support please.

At the moment I am finishing off a simple app project that I have been doing for a little bit and then I am learning a bit more to continue onto the project of the S!lap app if approved.

Thank you,

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    lordgandalf
    Minecraft Name
    lordgandalf
    I think youre thinking too lightly about programming :S

8. Likes naithantu, Stoux, Telluur liked this post
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    UrbanPretzle
    Minecraft Name
    jimred9
    Quote Originally Posted by lordgandalf View Post
    I think youre thinking too lightly about programming :S
    I may seem unexprienced, but I have a load of expirence in python. And so I can transfer this knowledge to my new language and software as they are similar. Also I'm a continual, quick learner so I can learn how to create even more for this app as I go along.I would also like to quote a saying I used to hear:¨Some may put you down, but you can always get back up and beat them.¨ I can't rember where this came from. But I like to follow this example and I would love the opertunity of vcreating this app if it can be approved.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steam Name:
    lordgandalf
    Minecraft Name
    lordgandalf
    Python is a scripting language.
    It isnt a programming lang just saying :S

11. Likes naithantu liked this post
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    I may seem unexprienced, but I have a load of expirence in python. And so I can transfer this knowledge to my new language and software as they are similar. Also I'm a continual, quick learner so I can learn how to create even more for this app as I go along.I would also like to quote a saying I used to hear:¨Some may put you down, but you can always get back up and beat them.¨ I can't rember where this came from. But I like to follow this example and I would love the opertunity of vcreating this app if it can be approved.
    This experience in python won't help you. whereas python is a clean slick dynamic language, java/objective c are pure static coding. this difference alone makes a major difference in complexity. python was designed to be a easy form of object orientated programming with a syntax that is easy to read and understand. translating that to a static language is harder than it seems. Make no mistake, what you are getting yourself into isn't what you think it is.

now, not to talk you down, but my prediction is that if you start, we won't hear a thing after a month. You want to integrate the website in your app, this alone is one hell of a job neither I, naith, stoux or any other developer in this community (except bluehat as I don't know him at all) can achieve in the next year. Because next to doing the programming itself you need to teach yourself php to pull content from our forum database.

however, if you really want to try, you have my blessing.
    Last edited by Telluur; 25-06-2013 at 10:17 PM.

13. Likes Stoux, naithantu liked this post
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    3) The whole point of the app is to be able to connect to the whole website, with a user friendly interface that makes navigating various sites an ease and also quicker for the user. It will have the live map and will also feature many other suggestions that anybody has. (please post any suggestions below, may it be a game to graphics or anythining else)

Okay... and... how would you do this? Let's just say, how would you access the forums inside the app, being able to browse through the sections, answer posts etc.
    When creating something that is already possible on a phone you're pretty much competing with other apps, in this case every single web browser and tapatalk (an app that allows you to browse forums easily on your phone which also works with our forums).

Don't get me wrong, I ain't stopping you, I would actually very much enjoy seeing someone make an app. However, while you do ask if others are able to help, you still haven't given any real information as to how you would make it.
    For example creating a good app that reads the forums requires you to get information from our forums, the only good way to do it besides making an internet browser is by adding php files to our forums (which isn't impossible, but it would be yet another language you have to know to get this to work).

When you say you have already created apps I do very much wonder what you have created. Let me get back to what me and telluur did this year, we created an app for android. In this app you get a screen with 4 numbers and you need to add, subtract, multiply and divide to make 24 (this is apparently what the 4 numbers on the old flippo's were for). We spent about 4 months creating this and several hundred hours in total, in the end the app really wasn't all that great. It wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't something you would spread to other people.

Once again, I'm not trying to make you stop doing this, but you need to be realistic. Make it clear how you are going to make something, exactly what you are going to do and what platform you are going to make it for (as a beginning developer saying you are going to make it for several platforms is really not realistic).

I think we've all said enough know, I wish you luck with whatever you are going to make (If you were wondering if it is allowed, then yes it is allowed to create apps for SLAP, just let us know) and I'd be really interested in seeing your progress.
    naithantu - Slap Gaming Minecraft Plugin Developer